The varied history of the Weissenhaus estate and its owners goes back to the 16th century.
The manor was founded in 1607 by the noble family Pogwisch. It originally belonged to the Farve estate, which was one of the largest estates in Schleswig Holstein at the beginning of the 17th century. Weissenhaus owes its name to the wall colour of the manor house, which at that time was painted rather unusually in white.
By 1735 the estate was already sold to Georg Ludwig Graf von Platen Hallermund, who was able to keep his property for eight generations. Under his ownership, the estate flourished due to frequent restorations and the neatness and cleanliness. He replaced the old baroque garden with a modern English-style park and the Cavalier houses were also used for other purposes than originally intended. Despite the loving care of the landlords, an accident in 1895 could not be prevented.
A major fire destroyed the estate and turned everything into rubble and ashes. Fortunately, the 350-year-old cellar with its impressive vaults remained intact.
On these old vaults a manor was rebuilt, which was furnished in the year 1952 as "Kurzschule Weissenhaus". In three-week long courses, young people from various professions learned until 1975 how to use their strength to help others and for rescue services. This institution existed until 1993, when the castle was designed in such a way that events, concerts and exhibitions could take place there, for which the count's family rented out their property.
In 2005 the family, who had already moved to the neighbouring Friederikenhof, sold the 75 ha estate including the village Weissenhaus to Jan Henric Buettner. From this moment on, he began a fundamental restoration of all buildings, which was completed in 2014. Weissenhaus, as it can be seen today, was opened in July 2014 as the Weissenhaus Grand Village Resort & Spa by the Sea.